Very simple recipe but keeps my sweet tooth satisfied for a number of days. Good for snacks, after dinner dessert, or breakfast.
Longer prep time if you make your own homemade pie filling. No prep time if you use canned.
Homemade apple pie filling
- Peel, core, and slice 4 small apples (I used gala)
- Add 2 T unsalted butter and 4 T water to a saucepan
- Add apple slices, 1/8 to 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and the spices
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t allspice
- 1/8 t salt
- (Note: you can use cinnamon too but I didn’t have any at the time)
- Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Mix 1 T flour or bisquick into 2 T cold water; slowly stir into pot and continue simmering for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently
- Grease a six cup muffin tin
- Preheat toaster oven to 350
- Place about 1/4 cup apple pie filling in each tin (fill to 2/3s)
- In a separate bowl — mix 1/2 cup reconstituted powdered milk, 2 T granulated sugar, and enough bisquick to make a lumpy batter similar to cake batter
- Drop batter on top of apple pie filling with a large spoon to cover pie filling in each tin
- Bake in toaster oven until tops start to brown and tops bounce back when touched (about 15 minutes)
For serving, use large spoon to scoop out and tip upside down onto plate. Perfect with ice cream or whipped cream.